Trace Tech won't return my calls [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kentsheldon at tracetec.com
Mon Jun 11 21:42:00 PDT 2001

Sorry William, I'm traveling again. I tried paging you last Friday.
I'm not trying to make you look like a fool in front of your customer.
Unfortunately, I am one person trying to assist this entire industry.

This is in response to your last Wrenches posting.

The transformer is required if NEC is a requirement for your
installation, which requires the array be grounded. If you tie a
grounded array through to a grounded utility, you will have a direct
short across phases when the inverter closes the AC contactor. Then
BOOM. That's the short of it. We decided when designing the PV series
that we would rather lose some efficiency in the transformer, rather
than have another DC-DC conversion stage, which would burn about the
same amount of power. Also, because there are a number of utility
voltages to match to, you may require a transformer to step the
inverter output voltage anyway (which happens to be your case here).

Furthermore, you may purchase isolation transformers (and breaker) from
just about anywhere. The ones we provide are custom built at the power
level of the inverter and 98% efficient. Most standard transformers
available at electrical supply shops are in the 95% range. Breakers are
breakers, just make sure you don't buy a really cheap one, that will
nuisance trip due to inrush upon transformer turn on. I've seen a lot
of problems with this. NEC seldom allows enough clearance on the
primary protection to keep the devices from clearing during inrush.

As to the combiner box, I have never seen one of these designs 'flame
out'. We UL1741 listed this design well over a year ago, and have
installed quite a few over that time. I have not had one failure
(that's not true, there was a failure when someone totally miswired the
array, 2X OC voltage with ground faults). The design may look similar
to the TCB-10, but that is only because of the circuit board/laminated
power bus design, which is quite common in power
conversion/distribution equipment. This is the most effective design
approach when size and cost are an issue.

As to the pool thing, sounds pretty shaky to me,  but I'd check the
NEC. There are pretty strict rules about power equipment around pools.

Perhaps you could send me your voice phone number and I will call you
from the road.

Regards,

Kent Sheldon
Product Manager, Photovoltaic Systems
Xantrex Technologies, Distributed Industrial & Utility Markets
Direct 925 245 5463  Fax 925 245 1022