Bergey or Whisper [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander, VT Solar vtsolar1 at together.net
Wed May 2 12:26:16 PDT 2001

Todd,

They are difficult to compare. That's because very few XL's have made it
"in-country" or been installed due to chronic delays in manufacture and
overseas importation. I have several XL customers getting pissed about
the delays (mine were first promised to me 10 months ago - Bergey
refuses to promise another ship date on my machines).

We are at this point considering going back to Whisper, although I never
had a two-bladed Whisper last more than a year without serious problems
(broken blades, broken shafts, ect.) I have several of the old 3-bladed
H1500 units going strong for several years now, outside of some fried
bridge rectifiers. But I'm still wary of the Whisper name - at least the
XL.1 has a 5 year warranty (although that could work to our disadvantage
should chronic problems develop, if we don't get reimbursed by the
customer or Bergey for in-warranty labor).

The XL.1, unfortunately, has its rectification circuitry in the
machine(a bit of a step backward - why require that rectifier
replacement means lowering or climbing the tower - lower retail price, I
guess). So it's dc transmission to the controls. Wire will have to be
sized accordingly larger compared to the 3-phase ac of the Whisper.

How 'bout it folks, are the "newer" Whispers (with the head turning 90
degrees to the tail when governing) any more reliable, than the old
"tilt up" governing style? Should I give Whisper another try?

Kirk

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com