Bergey or Whisper [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar toddcory at jps.net
Wed May 2 12:47:30 PDT 2001

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the feedback. As the Bergey is basically unavailable I guess the
whole question is moot.

My whisper H40 has been very robust and I have had NO problems for years since
they switched to the plastic blades and new governor design. I assume the H80
is basically just an "amped up" H40, so it is probably the way to go.

Todd

"Kirk Herander, VT Solar" wrote:

> Todd,
>
> They are difficult to compare. That's because very few XL's have made it
> "in-country" or been installed due to chronic delays in manufacture and
> overseas importation. I have several XL customers getting pissed about
> the delays (mine were first promised to me 10 months ago - Bergey
> refuses to promise another ship date on my machines).
>
> We are at this point considering going back to Whisper, although I never
> had a two-bladed Whisper last more than a year without serious problems
> (broken blades, broken shafts, ect.) I have several of the old 3-bladed
> H1500 units going strong for several years now, outside of some fried
> bridge rectifiers. But I'm still wary of the Whisper name - at least the
> XL.1 has a 5 year warranty (although that could work to our disadvantage
> should chronic problems develop, if we don't get reimbursed by the
> customer or Bergey for in-warranty labor).
>
> The XL.1, unfortunately, has its rectification circuitry in the
> machine(a bit of a step backward - why require that rectifier
> replacement means lowering or climbing the tower - lower retail price, I
> guess). So it's dc transmission to the controls. Wire will have to be
> sized accordingly larger compared to the 3-phase ac of the Whisper.
>
> How 'bout it folks, are the "newer" Whispers (with the head turning 90
> degrees to the tail when governing) any more reliable, than the old
> "tilt up" governing style? Should I give Whisper another try?
>
> Kirk

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm