Kohler 25/30 kw 3 phase [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Sun Apr 8 12:56:23 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Hi Wrenches,

So far, we haven't been able to turn up an exciter coil for the 3 phase
Kohler generator. Also, we are getting cold feet about the responsibility
involved.  The customer would be looking at an expensive rebuild, and if a
used part we found didn't hold up, it wouldn't be a good situation.

A new possible strategy is evolving.  What if we kept the generator 3 phase
and fed the two SW4024 inverters from 2 phases of the three phase.  On the
third phase, we would put a 24 volt battery charger.

The battery charger would be set to pull a little more current than the
chargers on the inverters, to offset any house loads that were drawing
power.

One possible concern about this arrangement is that the phase angle between
the two Trace inverters would not be 180 degrees, but 120 degrees.  Would
this create any problems with the inverters?

I assume that since each inverter is seeing a line to neutral load, the
inverters themselves would get a full 120 VAC from the generator.

Another issue is that when the generator was running and feeding the loads
through the transfer switches of the SW4024s, that the voltage would be 208
rather than 240.  This would seem alright so  long as any 240 VAC loads
were compatible with 208, and that they would be small enough to not
imbalance the generator.

So the big question would seem to be, "can stacked inverters operate off 2
phases of a 3 phase 120/208 generator?"

Another question is "how close does the load balance between phases need to
be on a 3 phase generator?"

A third question is "have we missed anything?"

Thanks you.

Drake

- - -
To send a message: