Kohler 25/30 kw 3 phase [RE-wrenches]

Charlie Robb, Element Engineering element.eng at quista.net
Fri Apr 6 03:11:11 PDT 2001

Drake,

I've never worked on Kohlers, but I wouldn't expect the exciter on a 3-ph
alternator to be significantly different to the 1-ph version, except
possibly its sensing voltage connection which might be phase to phase rather
than phase to neutral. The rotor will still be d.c. whether the stator is
arranged for 3-ph or 1-ph.

Therefore it may be possible to reconnect the stator windings at the
terminal rail for single phase operation and keep the same excitation
circuit. Otherwise, why not just keep the generator 3-phase and connect
single phase loads to one or more phases (phase to neutral, that is)? It can
probably handle 5kW of imbalanced load - how big is the inverter system it
is backing up? Can you put the charger load on a different phase?

The machine sounds far too big for a home system whether it was cheap or
not - it is going to be wasting a lot of fuel if it is only backing up a few
kW. Can you get a big three-phase charger and load the generator up fully
for a fast and efficient battery recharge?

Hope this helps

Charlie

Charlie Robb
Element Engineering

77 Society Road
South Queensferry
Edinburgh
EH30 9XP      UK

Tel: 0131 331 5835
Fax: 0131 331 5848
Mobile: 07887 991866

"Disclaimer:

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain
information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this e-mail.  If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this
e-mail."