Manufacturers on the list? [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Tue Feb 27 11:32:39 PST 2001

Thanks for your feedback, Sparky. I really want my position to be clear. I am going to present a few more points here, and then leave it to the rest of you to decide how to deal with this issue.

R. Sparks Scott wrote at 10:14 AM 02/27/2001 -0800:

>         Anyway, keeping someone off the list who has a strong desire to
>participate could be a mistake if they have valuable information to share.

But what if the desire to participate is a corporate-based need present company image in the best possible light? That is what I want to avoid. How do we differentiate? The list was set up for Wrenches, now we have somebody that wants on specifically to deal with spin control. The first message Pagan asked me to post was exactly that from a Xantrex V.P. Xantrex already has a technical representative on the list, that should be enough.

I am already hearing from folks that think there are too many messages and too much off-topic posting. I want this list to be a valuable resource, not a chore to wade through.

This has been the list direction all along, and it is only the pushiness of Trace that brings deeper consideration of this issue. When I originally turned down Tina Nickerson of Siemens she was (I think) disappointed, but accepting and understanding.

>This souldn't be a "good old boy's club", it is meant to be an asset to the members.

You are right. But walking the fine line between usefulness and openness is something that every topic-specific list manager has to deal with. If I were to make this decision on my own, she would not be added because I want to err on the side of usefulness.

>         We (you, Michael) could always kick them out if they become a bother...

Imagine the screaming that would happen if I had to kick off a manufacturer from a Home Power sponsored list. Yikes.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: