Manufacturers on the list? [RE-wrenches]

R. Sparks Scott sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Tue Feb 27 13:20:13 PST 2001

>But what if the desire to participate is a corporate-based need present
company image in the best possible light?

	I thought we already decided we could tell when we were being B.S.'d

>The first message Pagan asked me to post was exactly that from a Xantrex
V.P.

	Which is exactly why she, and all list participants, need to know what is
and isn't appropriate subject matter/topics.

>I am already hearing from folks that think there are too many messages and
too >much off-topic posting.

	Let those complainers go join a *real* mailing list and see how many
messages they get. Ask Doug Pratt about the EV mailing list, can you say
650 postings in two weeks??
	The members of this list use it like an e-mail -based chat room. This very
message is actually off-topic Maybe there needs to be a "management mailing
list" of the core members (board of directors), who can hash this stuff out
and make policy without clogging up the regular list with administrative
stuff. Oboy, *another* mailing list. Might make this type of discussion a
bit more private as well.....

>This has been the list direction all along, and it is only the pushiness
of Trace >that brings deeper consideration of this issue.

	So we push back, but if they are denied a proper opportunity to reply and
participate in the discussion, they just decide, "Screw those Wrenches,
they don't listen". How productive is that?

>Walking the fine line between usefulness and openness is something that
every >topic-specific list manager has to deal with.

	Yes, and thank you, Michael, but consider that you have it pretty easy
here as moderator. We are fairly focused on topic (mostly), seldom flame
one another, and generally have mutually agreeable opinions. I lurk in some
lists where the moderator has obviously given up because of the continuous
chaos.

>>         We (you, Michael) could always kick them out if they become a
bother...

>Imagine the screaming that would happen if I had to kick off a
manufacturer from a Home Power sponsored list. Yikes.

	That's why we have a moderator, to play the heavy when needed :-)

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: