Placement of lightning rods [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Tue Feb 27 07:34:53 PST 2001

<x-flowed>Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the clarification.  The issue is multiple ground paths through
the system neutral (or negative) rather than from a lightning protection
system such as rods or balls.

I am trying to understand as much as possible about lightning damage, as it
is rampant in Colorado.  I've heard that it is the number one cause of back
country fatalities in this state.  I seem to have had good luck in
bulletproofing some existing systems that have experienced lightning
damage, and don't know of any damage to my installations.  Although there
seems to be a lot of ideas about what is best,  good grounding certainly
seems to be the first line of defense.

Best regards,

Drake

At 06:59 AM 02/27/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy wrote:
> >
> > Could you say more about the problem with multiple ground paths?   With
> > wind systems I've been advised to connect a ground rod to each leg of the
> > tower.
>
>Yes, that's not a multiple ground path, thats just good grounding of the
>tower.  I believe these individual tower leg groundings are suposed to
>all be bonded as well.  An example of multiple ground path on a PV
>system would be installing a ground rod at the (pole mounted) array and
>bonding the negative leg of the PV to ground at the array, and then
>installing a seperate ground rod on the home wiring.  Now, you have the
>possibility of a voltage potential developing (near-by lightning)
>between the two grounds and it is carried through the conductors (and
>charge controller, etc.) rather than through the ground wire.  Kurt
>Nelson
>
>- - - - - - -
>To send a message:
>  RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
>The archive of previous messages:
>  http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
>List rules & etiquette:
>  http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm
>
>To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
>To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
>  www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine:
>  www.homepower.com
>
>For info contact list moderator by email:
>  michael.welch at homepower.com

>Start an Email List For Free at Topica.  http://www.topica.com/register

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com