Placement of lightning rods [RE-wrenches]

carl reuter creuter at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 27 09:22:42 PST 2001

I haven't had much experience with terrestrial lightning protection,
but on sailboats the experts would debate grounding to the water and
adding lightning rods such as Sparky described or leaving things
alone. A clear path to ground was of utmost importance, because the
lightning would perforate the hull or blow out fittings if it didnt
have one but people claimed it increased the potential for a
strike.One source for the lightning rods is West Marine, they have a
few styles.

 I'm all ears on this subject now that one of my installations took a
hit last month. Its a five hour drive and I haven't seen the damage
yet,but the inverter is toast, amp hour meter is off and a separate
12 volt system actually got charred where it feeds the answering
machine which leads me to believe that one strike zapped the phone
wire, which I'm told is the most common path in to a house. Can those
SOVs be installed on phone lines as well? Alarge tree in the yard had
its bark peeled in a stripe down the tree as well.Nasty stuff.
Carl Reuter

=====
Land and Sea Solar, Renewable Energy Systems.
www.landandseasolar.com
carl at landandseasolar.com
 Phone:831-252-5040

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/