becoming an inter-tie system [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Mon Feb 19 22:08:25 PST 2001

Pals:

Could the GFI be required to protect from fire hazard as well as, or
instead of, electrocution?  I try not to second guess Code requirements
unless I have some pretty substantial knowledge base, and I believe talking
a client out of a required device could be a liability nightmare.

William

At 10:32 AM 2/18/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Hiya Larry,
>Ah, the DC GFP! A device invented to fill a requirement written to
>correct a situation for which there was never a problem in the first
>place!
>Trace has the only one I know about. Roll your own can. I use them in
>48V systems every time (which ain't often because I try like hell to
>talk folks out of putting PVs on roofs, but sometimes you gotta) In
>24V systems I voice my opinions to the client and give them the
>choice knowing that they may have to pay me to install one later on
>IF the inspector requires it. What's the difference? Lifeform
>protection. There are no recorded instances of folks getting
>electrocuted by voltages less than 42VDC. Above that could, under the
>worst case scenario, potentially zap someone.
>Best, bob-O
>
>>Wrenches, I have a system on a customers house that consists of 4
>>SP75's roof mounted, a 4024 with a DC 250 disconnect, a C-40 charge
>>controller and 8 T-105's.  This is a grid connected house and we set
>>up a separate subpanel for the loads that run off the 4024.  The
>>grid feeds AC1 and acts as the back up.  Therer is no generator on
>>this system.  This system was always intended to grow as the
>>customers budget could afford.  Now we are adding 12 more SP75's on
>>the roof and they are going to inter-tie with the grid.  We will add
>>an outside disconnect to comply with requirements.  The question is
>>about GFI protection for the roof mounted array.  What has anyone
>>been doing to provide for GFI protection for roof mounted arrays?
>>and where in the control room equipment has anyone mounted the GFI
>>protection?  There is a 60 amp DC breaker mounted in the DC250 from
>>the array on the way to the C-40
>>Thanks for any feedback
>>
>>Larry Brown
>>Sun Mountain
>
>- - - - - - -
>To send a message:
> RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
>The archive of previous messages:
> http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
>List rules & etiquette:
> http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm
>
>To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
>To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
> www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine:
> www.homepower.com
>
>For info contact list moderator by email:
> michael.welch at homepower.com

>T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
>Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Topics You Choose.
>http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
Chief Engineer, KCBX: NPR and PRI for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7, Word 7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7, Excel 5
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Autocad V12 DWG, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: