290T China Diesel/Inverter [RE-wrenches]

Jack West, Talkeetna AE jackwest at alaska.net
Sun Jan 14 01:31:22 PST 2001

Gary,

I've hooked up a few diesels to the SW.  Some are easy (Lister), some are hard
(Northern Lights).  Never hooked up a China.  Glow plugs won't be needed in
Hawaii but the black button might well be the low oil shutdown bypass switch AND
glowplugs.  If it is, this won't be easy, or reliable.  The problem is that the
SW RY7 relay set to GlowStop function lets go of the glow plugs when cranking
the motor.  When set to run, the glow plugs are always on (and hence the low oil
shutdown bypass).  A careful look at the starting control schematic might
provide a simple solution but don't count on it.  It will probably take a custom
fix that will take hours to figure out and you'll be the only one who can fix it
if it quits working, which to me would be less than desirable, unless it was my
system.  If you do find an easy solution, the genny will probably not start
manually but will have to be started and stopped with the inverter only which
will be fine...unless you have inverter trouble.

Add to this the fact that you will need to add a solenoid to the motor to shut
off the fuel and I'd say don't do it.  Trace needs to add a little to their
Autostart feature for it to work well with many diesel generators; some
generators are just plain auto start challenged.  (My humble opinion).

Newer Lister diesel generators are very easy to auto start with the SW.  I no
longer push the genny autostart feature without knowing about the generator
first.  Been there, been burned.

Have fun,

Jack West
Talkeetna AE