290T China Diesel/Inverter [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy Systems ellison at gisco.net
Thu Jan 11 23:36:51 PST 2001

Gary,
I would bet that the black button is the fuel shut off button on the
tattletale, (Murphy Shutdown system) you HAVE to keep it held in until the
oil pressure goes above the shutdown range or it shuts down and pops out.
Depending on the design (Length of line) it might run for a minute or two
before it runs out of fuel.
Using a solenoid to pull the throttle into the shutdown position works
better than cutting the fuel on a diesel, too damned fuel stingy, takes them
forever to run out of fuel, especially the Chinese engines.

Bob Ellison

The motor is a 20HP China Diesel model 290T (coupled to a 12KW
Stamford-Newage generator). Here's how the motor is started and stopped(on a
red box near the unit):

START
1) Press the black button
2) Press the starter button
3) Press the black button repeatedly until the generator reaches full speed

STOP
1) Hold the throttle lever to the right until the unit quits

I'm guessing that the "black button" is the glowplug, though I have no idea
why one would press it repeatedly to start the generator(keep it warm?).
Maybe I should have my client see if either not pushing the black button
after pushing the starter or if holding the black button in would do the
same thing?

The stop function is mechanical, and I don't know if there's an electrical
way to do this. I would hope there'd be a low oil cutout. Worst case maybe I
could put in a solenoid for shutdown(but it's still scary if there's no
low-oil cutout). Maybe I've got to find some schematics for the thing.

I greatly appreciate your input. Thank you!

Gary

     Gary Higbee  (ghigbee at efn.org)
             (541)607-1818
    Solutions from the Land--solar,