third party installs [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Wed Nov 7 09:46:10 PST 2001

I have been following the commentary on pro .com versus anti .com etc.
After almost 20 plus years of actually wrenching ( crawling under
houses, pulling wire, troubleshooting in a snow storm , "my batteries
always get to 12volts during the day so why am I out of power", etc etc)
I can relate fully to the anti .com crowd.
Unfortunately the .com crowd fills a need. It fills a  need for people
who couldn't recognize a value added sale if it bit them on the butt.
These are people who would walk over a dollar to pick up a dime. They
are also the same people who will begrudge you 20 bucks for $100 in high
level tech time, but think nothing of paying hundreds and thousands for
leather seats, cruise control, bigger tires and wheels etc etc knowing
full well the money is essentially flushed down the toilet.
I avoid these people like the plague.
Yet my sales just keep climbing!
When people come to me (and they do on a regular basis) and want me to
install their "cheap" products I tell them to go hire an electrician. In
most cases these systems end up being added to the multitude of "solar
doesn't work" systems.
Joel paints a nice picture of wage slaves doing installs but renewable
energy systems are not microwaves. Would a roofer roof a house with
shingles from a .com or a well pump installer install a pump from a .
com. I don't think so.
I am trying desperately to get out of wrenching for this and other
reasons. Lets see how many successful installs we have when the wrenches
all get tired of the low ball cheapy guys skimming off the cream.Just
another of the many ways America seems to be in a "race to the bottom"
Larry Elliott

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm