Maytag Frig [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Mon Nov 5 09:23:08 PST 2001

Thanks to all who responded to my pond aeration inquiry.

On a different topic, and hopefully without opening another general
dialog about modified vs. sine, does anyone have experience running the
Maytag refrigerator featured in HP84 on modified square wave?  I know
the compressor and defrost elements should run okay, my concern is more
on the defrost timer.  Haven't I heard that some auto defrost timers
don't run well or are even damaged by modified square wave power?

Actually, I have one client with this exact frig that wouldn't run
correctly on an SW.  I think in this case there is some point in the
defrost cycle where the defrost elements drop out but the compressor
doesn't come back into play at that same moment.  If, at that moment,
the SW drops into search mode on just the timer load, the clock doesn't
continue to run and the compressor never comes back on (timer doesn't
let compressor run during defrost).  The guy would leave town for a few
days and with no other ac loads coming on periodically, he'd come home
to an ugly mess.  It would seem that with auto defrost, and at least
with this Maytag frig, you have to defeat search on any type of inverter
(or replace the timer with a DC timer).

Thanks again,

Kurt Nelson

- - - -