LED lights [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Nov 7 09:42:55 PST 2001

Wrenches,
We have an opportunity to design, sell, and install some stand-alone LED
lighting packages for a local subdivision. Each will illuminate a single
14X11 street address sign for a home. All will be highly visible. We expect
to contract for 25-100 of the units. The parameters are aesthetics,
reliability, and function; it's not a price-driven job, as we are the only
ones who have told the contractor that we can provide a good solution.
We have done one-off LED lighting systems, but one-off means a lot of labor
relative to the size of the job. Because there's a quantity to build, we're
looking for suggestions on clean ways to build these.
Holly Solar's name comes up first, as they are doing some very creative and
artistic work with decorative copper LED sculptures, and could surely do
custom work at a reasonable price. But Holly's quality control is erratic at
best--some of their stuff works fine, some fails right out of the box, so
they're not our first choice.
So I imagine that 3-6 "superbright white LEDs" would be plenty, with the
light about one foot or less out from the sign, or else above it, shining
obliquely on the signs. We're trying to "think outside the box" of 12V. We
suspect perhaps 4 AA nicads and a tiny 6V PV module would work for charging.
Has anyone done this? Any good importers of high-quality Chinese LED
lighting packages? Are the 6V round modules Alpan used for their units
available, and are they a good approach? Would a charge controller be
needed? What would make a good photocell? Please reply with ideas,
suggestions and sources for creative solutions for this application.
Thank you all.
Allan at Positive Energy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com