Off topic piece [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Thu Sep 13 19:35:29 PDT 2001

Hi all,
Here's my one off topic contribution on this. It's a piece I actually wrote
almost all of it late Monday night / Tuesday AM, BEFORE the terrorism,
adding the last two lines Tuesday evening. It was somewhat in relation to
the marketing thread we had going here, trying to find that magic "hook". I
had strong emotions about our spiraling into our oil addiction, and what it
was doing to us. My feelings are only stronger. Our addiction to Arab oil
does not let us conduct ourselves, and our relations, as we should. It is a
polluted relationship.

Here's the piece. Just to keep the list traffic more on-topic, if you have
non-topic reactions, let me know off-group.

Jeff

They shipped us West Texas crude, and we learned how to use it.
They shipped us OPEC oil, and we learned how to love it.
They shipped us oil on the Valdez, and we learned how to ignore the damage
it does.
They shipped us Canadian natural gas and electricity, and we hoped the
supply was endless, because we were addicted.
We ignored renewable energy because the price was too high.
They'll ship us Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge oil and Rocky Mountain
oil; we'll beg them for it. They say it's a cheap fix.
What is after that? We don't care, just give us our fix. Take our trees.
Take our animals. Take our air, and water. Warm the globe. Just give us
energy for our habit.
No price is too high. We're addicted.
What will the price be?
No price is too high.