regulate [RE-wrenches]

Smitty smitty at aaasolar.com
Wed Mar 21 12:35:31 PST 2001

Bob, here in New Mexico, we have what is called the Construction
Industries Division, a state agency, which is in charge of licensing and
regulating all the construction trades. For the privilege of attempting
to get rich in the solar business, we had to take a battery of exams to
get 6 different licenses, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, general
contracting, and various journeyman cards, as well as giving them $600 a
year. I am not exaggerating when I say NM is one of the most regulated
states in the country.

Now, comes the train of thought from little helpers, that I must be
regulated and certified for solar. First, by complying with state
licensing law, I feel that our outfit, and Allan's, have already jumped
through enough "certifying" hoops. Second, like in most industries, the
market place will weed out incompetence. Not a test. I've seen my share
of licensed plumbers et. al. who now work at the shoe store.

For those of us who have struggled for many years, overcoming wave after
wave of burdens, we are now looking at what I think is yet another speed
bump, probably with more fees attached to it. Another card in my wallet
is not going to help me sell one extra panel (although, if it was
laminated, I could use it to scrape my windshield).

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! Smitty

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

List rules & etiquette: