regulate [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positivenergy.com
Wed Mar 21 13:50:04 PST 2001

Adding to Smitty's comments:
   We use "Licensed NM Electrical Contractor" on our letterhead, return
envelopes, business cards, etc.--in other words, primarily as a marketing
tool, to set us aside from many of the fly-by-night installers around here.
It says that we take what we do seriously, and by inference it means that we
do code-legal work, pull permits and get inspections. If we had a national
certification test and certification, I think we'd get that too, and use it
for pretty much the same reason.  It can be abused and become meaningless,
just like licensure--we've seen many installations around here by licensed
electricians that won't pass code, and we've repaired several by one local
licensed installer that are genuinely dangerous,
   We know the quality of our work, but most leads don't, unless they're
referrals. We're already more expensive than the unlicensed discount
pickup-truck places, both because of higher overhead (which includes cost of
licensure, bonding, proper insurance, etc.) and because we are positioning
ourselves as "the best, not the cheapest".  Any legitimate credentials that
set us apart from others serve our marketing goals, and to my way of
thinking, a more mature PV industry.
   So I guess I would prefer a good certification program, but not for the
reasons some would.
Allan @Pos Energy