DR charging oddities and a final word on bozo-ness [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at positivenergy.com
Mon Jan 22 11:03:40 PST 2001

Here's a situation I experienced at home this weekend that has me scratching
my head.  Any ideas?

I have a DR2424, and a 4kw Honda powered Coleman generator running thru
Trace T220 for balancing.  Tried to run generator for EQ this weekend.
Usually see 60 A input first few minutes trailing off to a solid 30 A.  This
time, as voltage rose to 30.1 the input amperage dropped significantly, to a
fluctuating 8-15 A.  Then the inverter shut the charging off, waited 60
seconds and relatched.  Repeat.  Sometimes the inverter even shut off
completely.  In addition, the inverter/transformer was making a raspier than
normal buzz.

So I pulled off some J-box covers and grabbed my Fluke.  With the inverter
unlatched, generator output was 62 hz, 247 v.  (gen speed set for max output
under load, is a little fast when unloaded)  When the charger latched, the
frequency would spike to 117-175 hz, (yep, that's hz, not volts!) measured
at both the generator output and at the disconnect inside the house before
the transformer.  Decided to shut it off and play detective later.

This morning I repeated the same charge cycle, only difference was the
batteries were at 24.7 now.  Everything performed flawlessly, by the book.
233 v 60.4 hz under load, with 50-60 A dropping to 30 A dc current going to
the batteries.  Nice and quiet, only noise was the fan and a little
transformer buzz.  Is it that my system only acts up when my inlaws are
visiting?

BTW, in addition to my other duties here at +E, I print out the business
cards.  Sharkey, in response to your ".don't label yourself, me or others on
the list with anything that you wouldn't put on your business card or in a
resúme," Allan keeps hounding me to make his official job byline "Solar
Bozo".  I haven't seen his rez though.

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: