SW workround update [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson, SunWise sunwise at win.bright.net
Thu Jan 11 19:46:30 PST 2001

Update...

Hey Wrenches.  Not looking to revisit certain aspects of this, but a
question or two for the group.  Almost two months ago I complete the
"work around" of the SW inefficiency that we/me/Sharkey were
discussing.  You remember, the contactor in-line on AC1, timer and AUX
relay deal?  It has been working perfectly.  Disconnects AC1 every night
and reconnects after battery is up to snuff the next solar day (thanks
for your help Sharkey).  Unfortunately I don't have much info (data) yet
because immediately after installing the gear and programming the
inverter, WI entered into the cloudiest November since 1962, and
December wasn't much better.

I am going to make a similar "adjustment" to a system on the other side
of the State.  This is slightly different...

First, it has much heavier loads, being a Y2K system.  My question is
about transferring loads that may(?) be out of phase.  The entire system
is out in a pole building away from the home (home turf surrounded by
mature Oaks).  The grid-tie is in this building.  I'm feeding 120vac
from there to the home, which has a seperate utility transformer from
the transformer feeding the pole-barn, though they are both on the same
main feed of the passing utility line.  I want to place a double throw
contactor in the home that would switch the home loads sub-panel from
the utility to the inverter in the even of a utility power outtage, but
otherwise leaving the loads off the Trace (too big a home load to work
out with the work-round).  Is there a problem switching 120vac (single
inverter) loads with bonded common and ground if we are essentially
switching the source between two seperate transformers?  I currently
have one circuit in the house set up as such a transfer (to reduce the
normal use load on the inverter/grid-tie), but I am switching both the
hot and the common on this circuit (2P2T power relay), and it has mostly
resistive loads (ground IS bonded).  Is it necessary to switch both in
this instance, or would switching just the hot work out?

Question 2?  I still can't find a good supplier for 24VDC contactors in
the 60-100 amp range.  What is Trace using for their 60 amp, an open
framed power relay, or a contactor?  Any thoughts?

Thanks -- Kurt Nelson

 The inverter (and its battery) well essentially be connected to the
grid, period.

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: