UniRac Wrench Feedback Requested [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Thu Jan 11 18:15:07 PST 2001

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE wrote:

> The one problem you don't want to add to these is trashing someone's
> roof.  Unless, of course, you want to go into the roofing business
> yourself.  Or worse.
> Good point, Jim. I was a remodeling/construction contractor in
> a previous life....did my share of roofing, and STILL don't wanna mess
> with roof mounts. I have almost as much trouble finding a good location
> and mounting technique for the array as I do making that inverter system
> conduit look like Rembrandt was there....
> Roy

HAHAHA!  That's funny but sad too.

I'm gonna tell a true story about how "things" can really go haywire in
the construction trade and you'll read between the lines what havoc
means. This is not, strictly speaking, a solar story.

I have an architect/builder friend who only does very high end homes
$1 million and and on up, way up.  One of his recent creations is around
28,000 square feet of living space.  While doing this house he was doing
several others.  One of them, typically, was very elaborate and had a
very large Jacuzzi type deal in it.  Lots of hot water.  The lady of the
house needed her "refreshment," doncha know.  I won't quite call it a
swimming pool, but they had one of those outside anyway. This Jacuzzi
thing was inside over the garage somehow.  Inside beneath it usually sat
a $300,000 sports car convertible.  The owners had just returned from a
trip God knows where while the house was being finished up. Upon return,
the Mrs. decided to christen her pond and soak her patutie to "refresh"
from the trip.  This having done the trick, she hauled her patutie outta
there and drained the thing.

You know, plumbers are generally nice guys and good workers.  They
deserve what they make I think.  But there are exceptions....  Some yoyo
of a plumber failed to install the drain piping on her
place of refreshment. This eventually became apparent when the owners
started hearing the sound of running water - lots of it, in the garage!
Get the picture?  Uh huh.  All that water had flowed into the garage
ceiling, collapsing it on top of that awesome sports car.... with its
top DOWN.  Total loss.  With this irksome tragedy fresh in their weary
minds, they became so demoralized and pissed off they decided to tear
the whole house down and build a new one, even fancier.  Moral of the
story:  Don't mess with water if you don't know what you're doing.  It
might cost you a LOT of money.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
Business Email: JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com