Who else [RE-wrenches]

Aurora Energy aurora at toad.net
Sun Nov 28 06:54:19 PST 1999

Hello Comrades,

Some thoughts on the issue at hand of "who'll make the list" and a
personal introduction.
I guess I'd like to call myself a wrench, I've designed and installed
30+ home PV systems in MD/PA/VA/NY and have dabbled in wind.  I make my
living doing this now though for eight years I was an electrician mainly
working in historic home renovation.  I know I don't have as much
experience or intimate knowledge of the idiosyncrasies of RE components
as some of you guys, though I hope to contribute whatever I've learned
in RE or in the trade.  I am excited about this forum as I am confident
it will help me produce better systems for my clients.  The main concern
I see in others responses to the list question, are the same as my own,
namely will we come home from a long day in the field and find a huge
list of emails from the list with no time to even read them let alone
respond to them.  This does bother me because I have that problem with
all the lists I've tried to be a part of in the past.  I'm afraid that
if the volume gets too large, the most experienced (busy) people will
drop out just from an annoyance factor.  However, I firmly believe that
no one can waste my time unless I give it to them and so, if we feel
that there is a unnecessary question posted, we can simply delete it and
not respond.  I agree with others that we should not create a club
(especially not a boy's only club) nor should we place full
responsibility on Michael for the hard decisions of who'll make the
cut.  I guess I'm saying it's up to all of us to not encourage excessive
listings, and to bring up any concerns that we have right away before it
gets out of hand.  Here are just a couple of specifics I'll suggest.

1. We all make ample use of the subject line to help readers identify
whether or not the question fits their interest/ expertise.

2. We can send comments to Michael directly if we feel a particular
person is being unhelpful to the group.

3. We take advantage of the personal intro to get to know each other and
our levels of experience.

4. New members are alerted that this is a cantankerous bunch who do not
take kindly to having their time wasted.

5. Michael works extra hours to make everyone happy.

Final concern, can we assume that the list is not accessible to
merchants to pedal there wares?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to the interactions!
--
Jason Fisher

Aurora Energy
86 Conduit St.