[RE-wrenches] PV/Charge Controller Troubleshoot Help

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Apr 23 11:40:51 PDT 2024

Isn't that too much array power for an MX60?  Just based on the numbers
you gave, it looks like over 3kw, which is 63 amps at 48vdc.  He didn't
mention the actual PV module ratings, but I suspect its just way too
much array power.  It might work for awhile, but its going to start
cooking things (as it seems it has).  I never design off grid like folks
design GT systems with over sized arrays.  You want reliability off
grid, and that means leaving some head room in the design, so that the
controller isn't clipping all day.

I'd replace the MX60 with an MX80, and then you and the customer can be
bored for a decade.  It will make more power too, especially on cold,
sunny days when you really need it.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar