[RE-wrenches] Prepping for Bi-directional Charging with Enphase

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Wed Apr 3 06:02:59 PDT 2024

My understanding is that the EV charger will be compatible with the SC3 but not
the SC2. The white paper
[https://mailtrack.io/l/90667185047385cae6914b7225cd28f5ef001880?url=https%3A%2F%2Fenphase.com%2Fdownload%2Fbidirectional-ev-charger-white-paper&u=1613865&signature=feaaf6fd1c1cbfdd]
says that the system will require the CAN bus protocol, and I don't think the
SC2 can be upgraded to use that wired protocol. The IQ Combiner 3 or IQ Combiner
4 should be usable with a Communications Kit (COMMS-KIT-2). However, When I am
upgrading people to IQ Battery 5P where they have an IQ Combiner 4 or prior, I
just upgrade them to an IQ Combiner 5C because by the time you buy the
communication adapter and cell modem, it's cheaper and easier to just swap out
the combiner in most cases. And that leaves me an older combiner to have as a
spare to sell as a used replacement down the line.

I think you are safe with the SC3 for bi-directional charging compatibility. I
am not clear on whether a SC3G can be used. But I think the bi-directional
chargers will use one of the DER breaker slots, which means you will need a SC3,
not a SC3G if you also have 5P batteries. That means you will be limited to four
5P batteries without PCS or 8 batteries with PCS.

Jason Szumlanski
Principal Solar Designer | Florida Solar Design Group
NABCEP Certified Solar Professional (PVIP)
Florida State Certified Solar Contractor CVC56956
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor EC13013208