[RE-wrenches] Older Sunny Islands charging newer Lithium's

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 14:53:54 PST 2024

Hi Peter,

The Sunny Islands will work with Lithium, but there can be challenges.  The
Blue Ion to Sunny Island communication works really well, you need a Namaka
box for that.  This would be a great but expensive way to go.

The difficulties with Sunny Island and no communication to BMS is when you
need the Sunny Island to start the generator at a specific state of charge
or also know when to shut down.  The open loop parameters seem to work just
fine for charging.

One cheap solution that I think would work well is to add a Victron Smart
shunt, Cerbo and perhaps a screen.  You can manipulate the SOC algorithm in
the smart shunt to work well and turn the generator start duties over to
the Cerbo.  You may also be able to externally trigger the Sunny Island to
shut off (haven't looked deeply into this).

Have a good weekend!

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 3:10 PM Jerry Shafer via RE-wrenches <

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*