[RE-wrenches] Non-battery string inverter options?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Feb 22 22:20:44 PST 2024

Friends:

Thanks to all who replied to my plea for help.  I know it takes time to

So here are the options, as I see it:

SolarLovesYou.com:  Interesting site.  It’s like a museum in there.  A
refurbished inverter is a great idea for a legacy install with old panels
and wiring. I can’t offer refurbished for a new install with the warranty
required.

Tesla:  This is a personal opinion, but I find Elon Musk to be a
reprehensible person and it would be very hard for me to bring myself to
put one penny in his pocket.  I also thought you had to be Tesla certified
to access Tesla products and that would be a non-starter for me.

Fronius:  It would also be hard for me to purchase a Fronius.  We installed
maybe 20 of the IG series and most of them failed multiple times.  Fronius
staff disparaged me to clients behind my back.  Fronius would not send me
warranty replacement parts unless I gave them my credit card number, which
I refused on principal (I never once failed to return cores).  We lost work
because of the problems and conflicts.  The product, the people and the
policies may be better now, but the bitterness remains.  (It is interesting
that many of you have described positive experiences with Fronius.  This is
like the thread about lithium off-grid:  There were those adamantly against
it and others much the opposite.  The only way I can explain the disparity
of experiences with Fronius is that many of our failures where at sites
within a few miles of the coast and the IG series has flow through
ventilation and visibly thin or missing PCB coating.)

The new SMA hybrid:  Like I said, expensive and with a lot of unnecessary
parts.  The release date keeps getting pushed back so who knows when they
will ship.

Goodwe:  One of my suppliers recommended the GoodWe A-MS Series GW7600A-MS
7.6kW.  I have taken a cursory look and this may be the choice.

Its soon since I posted my question, maybe more options will come to light.

Thanks again everyone.

William

PS:  There was a section in the 2011 code (690.35) that indicates that if
you upgrade from a transformer based inverter the wiring has to either be
PV rated or in a conduit.  That section disappeared but the recollection
reminds me to inspect wiring in older systems before replacing inverters.

Wm

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422

805-438-5600