[RE-wrenches] EG4 Equipment

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Feb 17 11:27:17 PST 2024

Chris;

I was definitely moving to the LFP camp for off grid for all the same
reasons you mentioned, but I've just had too much trouble, so I'm
heading back to lead acid for now.  I missed the acid burned jeans, its
a "look".....

Seriously, you mentioned customers coming back to a lead acid battery at
16 v; how about a $12k LFP bank doing the same thing? At least lead acid
can be recovered to some extent.  I'm not married to either platform, I
just want to spend my customers' money on the most reliable solution,
and after having both temperature related issues, and failed BMS, lead
acid is back. Maybe when my current lead acid installations need to be
replaced, LFP will have solved 2 very important issues:
1) More Robust BMS boards that can be field replaced.
2) On board heating system for below freezing conditions.

I think we're close, but definitely not there.

Also, with all the mention of various UL listings, regulation needs to
evolve to differentiate between LiFePO4 and other Li+ chemistries.
LiFePO4 is inherently much safer, but we're being forced to comply with
all the same regulations as the less stable, more energy dense chemistries.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar