[RE-wrenches] State of Charge Meter for Sol-Ark

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Feb 9 12:07:37 PST 2024

Glenn:

I am aware that SMA does not support closed loop.  This is does not negate
the point I am making.

There is a problem in that Fortress claims the E-vault is compatible with
Sunny Island.  We should not have relied on Fortress for compatibility
claims.  The client really wanted lithium and already had a big SI system.
I want to find alternatives to lead-acid with its very limited lifespan.  A
lot of resources are wasted replacing and processing sulfated lead acid
batteries.

We reviewed the Fortress compatibility documents and made a decision based
on incomplete information. This is my fault for not researching further.
However we find ourselves with SI and E-vaults.  I am trying to make the
system work and share what I am learning because I think there are valuable
lessons here.

I started with open loop and I had greater problems with SOC inaccuracy so
I chose closed loop as an attempted work-around to the problem.  The system
performs generally more accurately with closed loop but does have the
problems I described.  I am still learning and trying to get this system to
behave.

I am not sure how that “taints” my position.  If my findings are inaccurate
I’d love to have you or anyone point out the errors so my understanding
improves and I can better serve my clients.  I do believe it is valid to
assume any system that offers SOC can become out of calibration.

I strive to give back to the industry by sharing fully what I have
learned.  I don’t claim to be right all the time and I am certainly open to
other conclusions.  Am I incorrect with the information I presented or the
conclusions I have drawn?

William

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422