[RE-wrenches] generator charging question/VFX3524

chris at OasisMontana.com chris at OasisMontana.com
Wed Feb 7 12:54:34 PST 2024

Hi folks:

So, we have a customer (equipment not acquired from us)  with an older OUTBACK VFX3524, charging their 3 X RB24V200 ReLion LFP batteries vis a vis one leg of their generator.  The battery is capable of up to 200A recharge though the manufacturer recommends 10~100A.  The customer has a 240VAC generator with two 120VAC legs; customer wants to bump up the charging to over 22.5A, preferably more; they’re running their gennie a lot to get a rather slow rate of charge from the inverter’s charger. Presently the customer has the Inverter/charger connected through the FLEXware 250 enclosure. There is not a busbar in place.  The idea presented is to use an external battery charger that would pull from the other leg of the 240VAC gen set to supplement the charging capability.   The question becomes: can we use a busbar with disparate amps charging to bump up the charging rate for the LiFePo4 battery?  Outback techs are saying the VFX3524 is not LiFePo4 compatible, but they also say they need to stack another inverter. I think we are looking at letting the smoke out of the least-producing charger by pushing amperages back.   What do y’all think?  Any and all ideas are under consideration.

Best,

Chris Daum
Oasis Montana Inc.
406-777-4309 or 4321