[RE-wrenches] Odd battery charging behavior with Outback inverters

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 04:33:05 PST 2024

William,

This is a very timely question, I have been seeing the same thing.  I also
don't allow any Flexnet interference in charging.  I went to investigate a
site yesterday and figured this one out.

It turned out that the Flexnet was uncalibrated by about 1V on the low
side.  This was a Lithium site and so there was not significant absorb time
and that 1 V is very significant.  The solar controller and Radian were
calibrated properly so it looked on Optics as though we were never getting
full but we were.

The Flexnet is a real mixed bag.  Its great to have the info but I don't
like the difficulty of calibration (loose nuts in the casing) and that the
Mate defaults to using its voltage meter.  We try to calibrate these as
closely as possible.

One thing I've noticed when I'm following up others work is that the
majority have incorrectly wired/programmed Flexnet DC.  They will not have
the appropriate shunts activated and so the system constantly reads 100%.
A lot of these systems are installed using Outback prewired panels (Im not
sure who builds these).

If your customer is savvy, you can have them unplug the cable from the Hub
that feeds the Flexnet.  If the voltage changes significantly, then the
calibration could be the issue.

Please keep us in the loop on what you are finding.

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 9:46 PM William Miller via RE-wrenches <

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*