[RE-wrenches] AFCI on DC coupled PV+BESS

Evan M emerkel15 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 13:38:09 PST 2024

Hey wrenches,
Curious if anyone has a good suggestion for meeting 690.11 on roof mounted
commercial scale DC coupled PV+storage.

When string inverters started getting 1699B listed, the usual suspects
stopped making AFCI combiners. The DC/DC converter and storage inverter
(we're reverse DC coupling) we're using don't have AFCI, which is typical
of BESS equipment, and without those older AFCI combiners we don't really
have a way to meet code.

I'd just go AC coupled but the equipment is already bought.

Thanks in advance!
Evan