[RE-wrenches] Magnum 4448 PAE whimpy charge rate.

John Blittersdorf john.blittersdorf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:07:33 PST 2023

I have noticed on several Magnum Installations that the charge rate is low
compared to the inverter rated output.  Typically I would assume the charge
rate should be up to about 70 to 80 % of the inverter capacity, but I am
getting only about 1400 watts (26 amps DC) from it with a 14kw generator.
Is there some setting I am missing that would limit it other than the
charge %.  I know of one system where they added a 2nd Magnum inverter and
then had problems with them working together consistently.  I have used the
8 kilowatt Radians for any off grid with significant loads and battery
capacity and easily get 6000 charging watts from a large generator. I also
needed remote control of the generator (Generac EcoGen 15 kw so a quick
inexpensive but clunky solution I came up with was to add an old (2003
vintage) used MX-60 to the system purely to use the Aux relay with a used
HUB and old but good Mate3.  Works perfectly giving us AGS start and stop
voltage settings and basic battery voltage graph. I would be interested in
other ways to remote control generators with non Outback inverters. FlexNet
DC?

John Blittersdorf