[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island AC-Coupled system integration with Fortress E-Vault

Roland Shackelford roland at renewablenergy.com
Wed Oct 25 21:29:44 PDT 2023

Hey Michael,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

We have gone through several SMA SI issues that can be very difficult to
narrow down but found most of the time the issues are founded on miss
understanding the affects that different set points have on the over all
system operation.

In your system, I assume but want to confirm that the Sunny boys are set to
off grid mode? And they have hardwired communications with Sunny Islands
with the proper piggy back cards installed?

We have two SMA SI offgrid system that we replaced lead acid batteries with
LFP and are successfully operating both in open loop communications. Both
are working well with minimal variation in SOC between SMA and batteries,
both do have separate DC charging sources and therefore have external
shunts enabled for monitoring the external charging sources (not sure if
this plays a factor). Both are properly regulating the AC coupled PV, but
took some adjustments to the SI charging parameters boost, full charge,
float and equalize, to get it working well, as well as we found VRLA
default battery SOC algorithm works better with LFP replacements.

Also one point of note is on any new battery programing the system attempts
to do a full charge and automatically sets battery SOC to 50%, how ever if
everything is programmed correctly it should just raise the battery to its
full voltage and hold it there, and it will then slowly auto correct the
SOC.

What did you set the max charge current for the batteries at?

Have the batteries discharged over a night and does this still happen when
the batteries are at a discharged state?

If you want to talk through details, you can reach me on my cell, just be
mindful of hawaii time.

Aloha,

Roland Shackelford

President / Owner

NABCEP PVIP #091209-162

O 808.775.7410 | M 808.938.9239 |

45-487 Lehua St Honokaa, HI 96727

Power Solutions for Generations Renewable Energy Services, Inc.
<https://www.renewablenergy.com/>

" Where there is integrity, there will be trust. Where there is trust,
there will be an atmosphere for success." - Sadhguru

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 4:31 AM William Miller via RE-wrenches <