[RE-wrenches] Outback Radian Generator Charging

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Oct 25 18:12:07 PDT 2023

Amos:

At the risk of stating the obvious:  The batteries have to be ready to
accept maximum charge.  They need to be in good condition and fully
discharged.  Max charge amps will occur only briefly then the charge rate
will start to taper.  Your charging settings need to be correct including
temperature compensation.  Any other charge inputs need to be disabled
during testing, such as solar, wind or hydro.

Check for THD on the generator output.  If the waveform deviates much from
sinusoidal the inherent power will be reduced.  Radians have been known to
instigate high THD rates on generator feeds during charging, especially in
Generator input mode.  Trying the Support mode is good advice.

(We had this case
<https://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/25_GFI%20Tripping/GFI_Tripping.html>
a while back.  Recently a random person called to relate he had similar
problems and found our case study.  He installed a capacitor (20mFd?) on
the generator leads and the THD decreased significantly.  I have not tried
this.)

William

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422