[RE-wrenches] High current dc combiner vibration

bob at midnitesolar.com bob at midnitesolar.com
Fri Jun 30 09:45:45 PDT 2023

We are talking to Kirk offline about this but the main issue here is
that the enclosure
for the 2000A combiner is made out of steel which is ferrous.  That
means that when the
120 Hz ripple current induces into the chassis it can vibrate just like
a transformer.

Low frequency transformer inverters are have higher ripple than the
newer HF transformer units
but they have some AC ripple on the battery cables as well.

This combiner is evidently been around for about 8 years and we haven't
heard any complaints
but maybe others have been silent on this.  I am not surprised at all
that this happens.

Aluminum chassis has the problem that it is a good conductor so when the
whole enclosure forms
around the cables, the aluminum can act as a shorted turn in a
transformer.  It is usually just
lossy but should vibrate much less, if at all.

There are other issues in switching to aluminum that Robin mentions, here:

/"One reason is cost, the other is fasteners, We would need to use press
nuts instead of snail shells. //
//Snail shells and sheet metal screws don’t do well in aluminum. It is
too soft. Aluminum would not //
//vibrate from magnetic ripple activity though."

/He has some ideas to make aluminum work so we will try those./
/
Now, plastic could work.   Just has to be real thick.    Darn physics !

Damping can help, like Kirk tried (more can be done here too). Keeping
the cables
together best as you can inside the chassis may help as well but moving
and routing
the cables might also reduce the buzzing some more.

That's the latest buzz from here.

🌜boB🌛
     K7IQ