[RE-wrenches] Remote load shedding

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Tue Jun 27 03:12:54 PDT 2023

I'm interested in this also. This is becoming increasingly necessary as we
install "whole home" backup systems, but we need to dump a load that is on
a downstream subpanel. A common need is to shed pool equipment like
electric heat pumps and pool pumps when utility power is lost. In other
cases, the backup system interconnection point is outside at a meter/main
combination service entrance device, but the loads we need to shed are on a
downstream distribution load center.

Sometimes wiring control cables to do this is cumbersome or virtually
impossible.

A while back I ended up purchasing a 24Vac remote 900 Mhz relay to shed air
conditioning, but ultimately I never installed it because it was too
complicated and introduced an unacceptable point of failure (potential
service issue). We need some reliable, simple load shedding products that
are brand agnostic.

Jason Szumlanski
Principal Solar Designer | Florida Solar Design Group
NABCEP Certified Solar Professional (PVIP)
Florida State Certified Solar Contractor CVC56956

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 1:06 AM Mac Lewis via RE-wrenches <