[RE-wrenches] 2018 Residential Code Fire Setbacks

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Wed Jun 7 15:40:09 PDT 2023

If you read the section carefully, it reads on both sides of "a" horizontal
ridge. It does not read "each" or "all'" horizontal ridges. I know that
this interpretation has worked in some jurisdictions in Florida. On many
hip roofs, there could be several horizontal ridges. It could be
interpreted or rationalized that the intent is both sides of the *highest*
horizontal ridge.

Unfortunately, it's rare for an AHJ around here to enforce fire setbacks at
all, so most contractors go right up to the ridge without a second thought.
I've seen my share of panels over the ridge even. The Florida Building Code
in effect now requires AHJs to enforce setbacks as they are included in the
code, but most of them never get on the roof and they do inspections by
having the contractor sign away their first born via affidavit saying that
we did what is required. Commercial work is different. Usually, the fire
marshall is involved in these plan reviews and inspections.

Long story short, we thought it was going to be a nightmare here, but as we
got to know each jurisdiction's wants, we just complied and it all worked
out. It helps to have a menu of different panel lengths to fit multiple
rows when it's a close call.

Jason Szumlanski
Principal Solar Designer | Florida Solar Design Group
NABCEP Certified Solar Professional (PVIP)
Florida State Certified Solar Contractor CVC56956

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 3:02 PM rick--- via RE-wrenches <