[RE-wrenches] Open Delta to 208Y/120 Volt

drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Jun 6 08:10:58 PDT 2023

Hello All,

We are looking for a transformer to connect Sol-Ark inverters to an open
delta service. The Sol-Ark can only connect to a Wye configuration.

We found one which the supplier says will do the job. It is an MGM, 240
Delta to 208Y/120 Volt, 3-Phase.

The supplier says this will derive a neutral which can be grounded for a
solid neutral connection.

My concerns with what we have found so far are:
1) How much efficiency will be lost due to connecting to an open delta?
2) Will the derived neutral really be sufficient?
3) The cost of the unit we found is high. Does anyone know of a source
for economically priced transformers.

Thank you,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC
Ohio Electrical Contractor’s License 44810
CO Master Electrician’s License 4526