[RE-wrenches] Underground fault finder

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Tue Apr 18 09:04:34 PDT 2023

Not sure about rental sources in your area, but there are two options:

1) An underground cable fault locator, aka a "thumper," which only works on
direct buried cables. It is a destructive test (at the fault location), and
should only be performed when there is a known fault in order to locate it.
It requires "walking" the cable run with a sensing device to hear the
"thump" generated by the high current/high voltage induced on the line.

2) A time domain reflectometer (TDR), which is sort of like radar in that
low energy signals are reflected by changes in cable impedance; it is
non-destructive, but also not as accurate in terms of the location
(providing a cable length to the fault, rather than a "thump" at the actual
fault location) and typically cannot see higher resistance (≈>200 MΩ)
faults that the thumper can.

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
National Electrical Code® CMP-4 Member
(520) 204-6639

Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 8:27 AM Matt Sherald via RE-wrenches <