[RE-wrenches] replace part of rolls battery bank

frenergy frenergy at psln.com
Wed Apr 5 19:35:57 PDT 2023

Wrenches,

             I feel compelled to chime in here.  Ten years ago, we
installed 24, Rolls 2-KS-33P, 2 volt batteries for the shop. Though they
were in a climate-controlled environment and maybe went to 50% SOC a
dozen times over 10 years, usually ranged 75-100% SOC, we had the first
failure just before 7 year warranty ended.  Unfortunately soon after
there were two more failures we had to pay for, then most recently 2-3
more were very difficult to maintain good SGs and were sagging more in
voltage when loaded. We tried several EQs and then deep discharges and
hard and long re-charges to try and de-sulphate without luck.  So we
recently replaced the pack.  We know how to care for FLA batteries, been
doing so since the 80's.

             I'm not faulting Rolls/Surrette, Steve Higgins tried to
help, /maybe/ I should take some responsibility but the reason I am
sharing this bad experience (I was expecting 15++ years from this kind
of battery) is at some point after installation I checked the date codes
and found there were 5, count them FIVE different dates, one or two of
which were /more than a year old/ when purchased. Ouch.  Another
expensive lesson learned.  Hopefully Rolls has a better handle
now-a-days on their post manufacture supply chain.  Do you think the
different distributors that sent their "back-in-the-corner" unclaimed
2-KS-33p's to my distributor to make up my pack had their 2V chargers
floating the batteries all that time? me neither.

             Moral of the story: *Check date codes* on that big
beautiful pack of lead you're ready to load onto the truck. I'm now
making it clear to our distributor that I won't be loading batteries on
my truck unless dates codes match, which they did on the replacement
SimpliPHI's.

             Bill

Feather River Solar Electric
Bill Battagin, Owner