[RE-wrenches] replace part of rolls battery bank

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Apr 3 11:39:18 PDT 2023

Daniel:

I feel your pain:  In October of 2021 one of our off-grid clients had
failed flooded L-16 batteries.  We needed 16 replacement batteries and
chose Rolls VRLA batteries.  We could not get 16 due to supply chain
constraints so we went for 8 with a back order for another 8.  It took
until May of 2022 before we could get 8 more.

The Rolls batteries subsequently failed.  We were denied warranty relief in
part because we mixed the exact same batteries but delivered 7 months
apart.  The cost of resolution came out of my pocket.

If you can’t mix the same batteries of slightly different age, I would
extrapolate that you can’t mix batteries of different manufacturer.  My
guess is if you mix batteries the entire array would experience a hastened
decline.  This conclusion is consistent with research done over many years.

I looked up the S550 batteries and learned they are 6 volts units.
Assuming the system is 48 volt nominal this would be 3 strings of 8.  Three
strings is pushing the envelope of acceptable design.  Multiple parallel
strings encourage circulating currents resulting in a process I call
“battery cannibalism”:  Lower voltage batteries discharge the higher
voltage batteries over time.

If it were me I would rearrange the batteries into two strings of the best
batteries and wait for the rest of them to fail.  I would then redesign the
system for one string with an appropriate AH rating.  Two volt cells are a
practical way to achieve this.

Also look carefully at your thermal compliance.  Make sure you are using
the proper temperature compensation value applied to all charging sources.
Avoid re-radiated heat from sunlit surfaces and proved good ventilation.

I hope this helps.

William Miller

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422