[RE-wrenches] Attaching Array To or Through Ply

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Thu Mar 30 02:56:41 PDT 2023

This thread has morphed into more than it started as, and for good reason.
I want to provide some practical/anecdotal information, having just gone
through arguably the most catastrophic wind event in Florida's history
(Ian) since the boom in solar energy started, and another major wind event
(Irrma) just 5 years ago.

First, Aside from the Sunmodo and Quickbolt decking-only products, I would
check out IronRidge's new entrant into the market, the IronRidge HUG. If
you can't find info on it, ask your distributor or IronRidge sales rep.
They have data on truss attachments and also missed truss installation
procedures. It's a unique approach to a dual-purpose product, and they did
a stellar job on the engineering documentation in my opinion.

Ok, now let's get to my most important point. Due to Hurricane Ian, the
number of roofing PV attachments that I have witnessed that failed due to
fastener pull-out (mine or competitors):

ZERO

The only building where we had any mounts fail was on a flat roof with
pitched panels and Anchor Products mounts on TPO membrane, but the mounts
themselves did not cause the failure. The roofing system itself failed,
causing a small section of the PV system to fail. But even in that case,
the following applies...

The weak point in a well-designed and installed system is not the fastener
or flashing system. The module to rail connection is where we saw failures.
These failures fell into a few categories:

   - Windborne debris struck panel, panel frame failed, panel popped out of
   mid-clamps.
   - Catastrophic wind forces popped panels out of mid-clamps (a good
   percentage of panels found INTACT and still functional on the ground!) I
   suspect the panels became covex in the wind, bending frames inward.
   - Windborne debris struck mounting system components, panel dislodged,
   often still on the roof suspended by DC leads.
   - Mid-clamp t-bolt tore out of aluminum rail channel (IronRidge UFO,
   Unirac SM).
   - Mid-clamp sheared off (Quick Mount QRail).
   - Unexplained module detachment failures.

On 9/28/22, while I stayed up all night bracing myself against my front
door that I thought was about to fail, I was imagining how many roof leaks
my clients were about to endure, and wondered about the efficacy of my
business going forward. Those fears never materialized. Aside from a
handful of minor panel dislodgements, there was no panic following the
storm (with respect to solar panels). The bigger problem became all of the
people needing to remove panels for roof replacements, but PV panels
largely protected roofs in the areas where they were installed. Sadly, the
rest of the roof often did not fare as well.

Anyway, back to the decking attachments. I have been skeptical of
non-flashed products for comp shingle roofs for a long time. My thinking is
coming around, particularly with the HUG (I trust IronRidge's testing
regime). And sealants have come so far. This method will remain up for
debate probably for a long time. Around here, I am pretty certain these
products will outlast the shingles they are placed upon. We only get 15
years out of most shingle roofs around here.

About the pull-out fears... Mine are gone. We have done many flat roofs
with long fasteners through steel decking or wood decking. These screws are
usually something like #15 XHD screws in lengths from 5 - 12". Not a single
failure. We have also used Quick Mount QBase Low-Slope bases on pitched
tile roofs that were only screwed into decking with 4 fasteners each (due
to horizontal truss transitions) in some cases. Zero failures. But the most
relevant attachments I can think of that are germane to this discussion are
the many thousands of S-5 SolarFoot that we have screwed into decking on 5V
metal roofs around here. These have four screws per attachment, and S-5
load tests show something like 240 lbs of pull-out strength in OSB
(adjusted for safety factor). When engineered for our wind loads, we
usually get anywhere from 36-48 inch attachment spacing, sometimes 24
inches in certain roof zones. Again, not a single failure.

I have more solar installations on Sanibel Island and Fort Myers Beach
(Hurricane Ian Ground zero) than anyone. Many of those have decking-only
attachments, S-5 clamps, flat roofs, or other attachments other than
trusses. I can tell you unequivocally that I trust decking-only attachments
from a pull-out strength standpoint. When properly engineered, with
cautious attachment spacing, these mounts work in both OSB and plywood.
Because of the inconsistencies in OSB, we always err on the side of
caution, if not in the engineering, then in the installation, by installing
more attachments than prescribed. But the evidence is clear. It works.

Caveat to the above: I have zero experience with snow or seismic, and no
experience on roofs exceeding 8:12 pitch, and few above 6:12.

And one more shout-out to S-5 clamps on standing seam roofs. Aside from one
minor failure of the roof metal itself, not an S-5 failure, we had zero
failures of S-5 clamps attachments to report.

I hope this anecdotal information helps and sets some fears aside. Please
reach out to me off-list if you want any specifics or details about our
experience with catastrophic wind events.

Sincerely,

Jason Szumlanski
Principal Solar Designer | Florida Solar Design Group
NABCEP Certified Solar Professional (PVIP)
Florida State Certified Solar Contractor CVC56956

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 2:47 AM William Miller via RE-wrenches <