[RE-wrenches] Thermal tank coils

Nathan J. Stumpff nathanjstumpff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:26:44 PST 2023

Jeremy,

I bought those once a long time ago but sorry, striking out finding
documentation from where. Bought only once because it really is pretty
simple and we just started making them ourselves.

The hardest part is getting a good, consistent and even bend. The ultimate
rig (after lots of trial and error) was a large gas hot water tank. It had
a whole perfectly down the center for the gas flu, we inserted a piece of
2" or 2-1/2" rigid pipe and then put the pipe on pipe rollers (so the tank
was now horizontal and could roll freely.) Secure one end of your tubing to
one end of the tank and then just slowly roll the tank around, wrapping the
CU tubing as you go. With a little practice you can make them look perfect.

We used Type M soft CU.

While they are still on the tank, you lay a support 1/2" piece of hard CU
tube perpendicular to the tubing coils and tack the coils to the support
maybe every 2 or 3 coils. We would evenly space three supports around the
coils. Run them a bit long on the bottom for temporary feet and longer
still on the top for structure to hang them (assuming you are going at the
top of your tank.)

CU is pretty easy to work with but obviously stainless would be a whole
different animal.

Trying to dig up some photos of the rig but striking out there too, but
here is a final product shot. Good luck,
-Nathan
[image: Coils.jpg]

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 6:05 PM Jerry Shafer via RE-wrenches <