[RE-wrenches] The Stupid Outlet

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:44:07 PST 2023

With the talk about heating battery banks on the list lately I thought
I'd share fix that I did last year. I have an off grid customer with a
place used by an extended family. They were engaging in the usual
mission creep. Maybe mission leap would be a better expression. Anyway,
they were plugging in stupid things and periodically crashing the
battery bank.

I got a 6x6 metal box and put a standard 120V outlet in it, as well as a
40A* rated solid state relay. There's a heavy duty extension cord coming
out of it and a control wire for the relay. I stuck it on the wall next
to the Outback panel, wired it into an aux relay, and plugged it into
the outlet on the side of the panel. I programmed the system to only
turn on the relay/outlet when the battery voltage was 56.8V or higher.
The battery pack would have to be charged and the sun shining to turn on
the outlet.

I (privately) call it the Stupid Outlet. I suppose, to be kind, I should
call it the Ignorant Outlet, but I've been over this with them a few
times. I told the clients that if they had any question at all about
whether they should plug something in, plug it into the gray box. For
example, they have a dehumidifier they want to use in the basement.
About 450 watts. Into the Stupid Outlet it goes. It only runs when the
sun is shining. It reduces my stress level. I suppose you could tell
clients it is the Sunshine Outlet.

*40A because I want it to be 2x oversized for absolute durability.

--
Hilton Dier III
Missisquoi River Hydro