[RE-wrenches] NEC 230.46 spliced and tapped conductors

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Wed Feb 1 16:18:03 PST 2023

The requirements for power distribution blocks (PDB) to be marked “*suitable
for use on the line side*…” when installed connected in that manner in
wireways (Art. 376) and pull/junction boxes (Art. 314) have been in the
NEC® for quite a few cycles.

It looks like the additions to 230.46 in the 2020 NEC® (PDBs and
splices/pressure connectors connected to service conductors must be marked
“suitable for use…”) coincided with this explicit requirement being removed
from 314 (though it remains in 376); this makes sense - if you’re using a
PDB on the line side, well you’re connecting to some type of service
conductors, so why not cover it in Art. 230 (maybe it’ll also be removed
from 376 in 2026).

UL 1953 allows for PDBs (UL product code QPQS) to be listed for connection
on the line side, load side, or both, with those that can connect on the
line side having the marking mentioned above. Note that many have an SCCR
of 10 kA unless combined with the manufacturer-specified fuse type and size
(or smaller), and have minimum enclosure sizes that must be followed as
well. I have had a difficult time finding PDBs that are marked for use on
the line side while just using the internet (and have been too lazy to pick
up the phone thus far...plus it doesn't help that all PDBs have a line and
load side of the device regardless of whether or not they are being
connected on the line or load side of the service!).

Of course many folks are not going to want to use PDBs due to re-routing
conductors to them (if even possible) and having to shut down the utility
supply to install them. Enter pressure connectors, and the seemingly
industry-fave insulation-piercing style; unfortunately I'm not aware of any
that are available *yet* with the proper listing and markings as required
by 230.46.

A colleague that works for a large electrical product manufacturer passed
this along:

*“No test existed for qualifying single polarity connectors suitable for
line side use when this was added to the 2020 code with the January 1, 2023
date for enforcement.  A strategy and test procedure needed to be developed
and adopted by the UL CSDS working group.  Not a speedy process.  Long
story short, after developing a strategy, public comment period and voting
the standard wasn’t published until August of last year.  On average the
testing requirements take about 90 days.  To further complicate matters, I
was recently told that UL is still developing the submittal process.   I
know that there are a lot of companies currently testing products but until
the UL submittal process catches up, no one will be official.  The UL
product code is ZMWW; as companies become qualified they should show up in
the ZMWW search.  As of today, no one is listed.  This leaves power
distribution blocks as the lone connector product rated for line side use.
I know that Bussmann has some PDBs rated for line side use."So this begs
the question of whether or not NEC® 90.4(D) can be invoked (new products
not yet available at the time the Code is adopted...); PDBs already exist,
so no dice there, and it is likely that since they exist, an argument using
90.4(D) in regards to pressure connectors/splices will fall on deaf ears
because, well, use PDBs."*

Ugh.

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
National Electrical Code® CMP-4 Member
(520) 204-6639

Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 4:26 PM Jason Szumlanski via RE-wrenches <