[RE-wrenches] NEC 230.46 spliced and tapped conductors

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Wed Feb 1 15:25:05 PST 2023

As someone who does 75%+ supply-side interconnections, this kind of
terrifies me. We have another year of NEC 2017 here, so I have time to
prepare, but I'm watching this closely.

Meter disconnects/reconnects here are difficult due to the lack of good
utility company cooperation and the requirement for an inspection prior to
reconnection, which leaves homeowners without power for many hours at
times. Otherwise, I would just pop in a 200A main disconnect between the
meter and main distribution panel and do a feeder tap for the inverter
output between the new service disconnect and the existing distribution
equipment. Unfortunately, that usually means bringing grounding electrodes
and conductors up to current standards, but that's how we would be forced
to comply if this splice/tap rule comes into effect here and there are no
suitable products available.

Side note: 200A 2-pole fusible disconnects are all but impossible to get
here. Even 200A main breaker enclosures are very hard to find. Hurricane
Ian didn't help that with thousands of people who had their service
equipment under water... It has been a challenge.

Jason Szumlanski
Principal Solar Designer | Florida Solar Design Group
NABCEP Certified Solar Professional (PVIP)
Florida State Certified Solar Contractor CVC56956

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 7:56 PM August Goers via RE-wrenches <