[RE-wrenches] Remote battery disconnects

Christopher Warfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Sun Jan 29 04:22:24 PST 2023

I think California is the first place that I realized external MSP and
breakers are common. Not so in the northeast and many other parts of the
country. It doesn't matter with respect to battery systems in any case.

As for getting involved in writing the Code, that is a pretty rotten
things to say.  Brian, why don't you post the schedule for the next two
Code cycles as best you can that says when: 1) Open for receiving
recommendations for revised language, 2) How to submit, and 3) reference
to the process for how this works?

I, and many other people I know, have submitted language for
consideration. Not one suggestion for twenty years has made it. And it's
not as though they were bad ideas.  I stopped once I saw how it didn't
work. The CMP have made solar increasingly more convoluted and less safe
instead of the other direction. I've had it with cloistered processes
infiltrated by special interests. It's like lobbyists writing bills.

This discussion is an example.  I am familiar with 480.7. It is an
example of Not seeing the trees for the forest. It is using a sledge
hammer with a bad handle to address an issue that a tack hammer could
solve.

Not too long ago I was part of a team that trained about 10,000 fire
fighters/first responders in solar systems.  To not second guess them
would be wrong.  Many had a very bad understanding of pv (thanks again
to those great ex fire fighters turned solar experts making lots of
money providing incomplete information on this technology).  Fire
fighters need better education.  This battery disconnect requirement to
control 10 feet of conductors is nonsensical and counterproductive and
should not be enforced. NEC should issue a memo stating that it is a
mistake and serves no material purpose immediately. Would someone please
explain stepwise how this requirement is better protection than an ac
conductor disconnect on the battery supplied panel.  Step wise, cost
wise, performance wise???

At a time when we are engaged in an international struggle where energy
is being used as a weapon against those who stand for representative
governments, freedom of speech, etc. to have language such as this has
always been suspect, but now shows up as really glaringly wrong.  We
need distributed energy storage systems. We need greater use of our
renewable energy resources to reduce ours, and our allies dependence
upon energy sources from countries who are hostile to our way of life
and freedom.  This NEC language just plays into the hands of those that
would like to harm the free world.

Chris

Christopher Warfel, PE
Entech Engineering, Inc.