[RE-wrenches] Remote battery disconnects

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sat Jan 28 12:16:44 PST 2023

Jeremy:

Thanks for posting the code references for those that had never looked them
up.

Chris:

What do you mean by “a disconnect for AC wiring, not specific to which or
both panel types”?

All:

Code references are handy when receiving edicts from building officials,
but not required, IMHO, for two reasons:  The contractor should already be
versed in the codes and, building departments can mandate their own
requirements above and beyond the code.

It may seem redundant to require an AC disconnect for premise wiring as
well as a DC battery disconnect.  In most cases if you disconnect the
inverter from the batteries the AC power goes off.  However if the
generator is running at the time, some battery inverters can operate when
disconnected from batteries.  So to completely de-energize all components
of an off-grid home you need to disconnect the generator and the battery
leads.

In this case the home is required to have fire sprinklers.  There is
pressure pump to provide flow to these fire sprinklers-- said pump being
powered by the inverter/battery system.  I am going to apply for a waiver
to remove the DC disconnect requirement on the grounds that the pressure
pump is essential fire suppression equipment.  Instead I will propose to
supply an AC disconnect (meeting all requirements for accessibility and
marking) that will disconnect all premise wiring except the pressure pump.

By the way, I will of course be trying to apply the logic that the voltage
specification is for nominal battery voltage and this project having a
nominal 48 volt bank does not require the battery disconnect.

I will let the group know what response I receive.  Regardless of how this
works in this jurisdiction, I think these are both valid arguments worth
trying in any jurisdiction requiring the battery disconnect.  Some
officials are amenable to dialog and negotiation and some are less so.

William Miller

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422

805-438-5600