[RE-wrenches] Remote battery disconnects

Jeremy Rodriguez allsolarjeremy at msn.com
Sat Jan 28 10:12:18 PST 2023

2020 Code Language:

480.7 DC Disconnect Methods.

(A) Disconnecting Means. A disconnecting means shall be provided for all ungrounded conductors derived from a stationary battery system with a voltage over 60 volts dc. A disconnecting means shall be readily accessible and located within sight of the battery system.

N (B) Emergency Disconnect. For one-family and two-family dwellings, a disconnecting means or its remote control for a stationary battery system shall be located at a readily accessible location outside the building for emergency use. The disconnect shall be labeled “EMERGENCY DISCONNECT”.

N (C) Disconnection of Series Battery Circuits. Battery circuits exceeding 240 volts dc nominal between conductors or to ground and subject to field servicing shall have provisions to disconnect the series-connected strings into segments not exceeding 240 volts dc nominal for maintenance by qualified persons. Non-load-break bolted or plug-in disconnects shall be permitted.

Jeremy Rodriguez
Solar Installation / Design
All Solar, Inc.
1453 M St.
Penrose Colorado 81240

Sent by Jeremy's iPhone. Sorry for typos and shorthand.