[RE-wrenches] Remote battery disconnects

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Jan 27 11:24:10 PST 2023

Friends:

We have a large-ish residential off-grid system install coming up.  The AHJ
has said they will require a remote battery disconnect.  I suspect there
will be fire sprinkler controls and a pressure pump that would become
inoperable if this system were engaged.  In this case we will apply for a
waiver.

The last time this was discussed here as far as I can find was October of
2020.  At that time no one suggested any specific battery disconnect
equipment.

To further clarify my needs:  There will be 4 or 5 Radian 8048 inverters (5
or 6 4/0 battery circuits, ~350A each) and two 175 amp PV recombiner
outputs.  That is 6 poles of high amperage DC disconnects.

The battery array will be either a UnigyII VRLA or a lithium of a brand yet
to be determined.  In the case of lithium we will look for a system that
can remotely enable a BMS shutdown.  In the case of a VRLA lead-acid, we
will not have that luxury.

I have done some considerable research and have not found viable, high
amperage, remotely activated shutdown equipment.

I am wondering what hardware others may be using to achieve remote battery
disconnecting in these types of cases..

William

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422